We are redesigning Pier 58
Welcome to the Pier 58 design project online open house. We are redesigning Pier 58 to create a public park and improve access, safety and flexibility to the pier, while offering expansive views of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains. The new pier park is designed especially with families and young children in mind, with a playground, spaces to relax and a public plaza that will be programmed by Friends of the Waterfront.
At this online open house, you can:
Learn about the final design of Pier 58
Learn about the initial restroom concept design
To stay up to date with the project, we encourage you to sign up to our email list.
Sign up for email updates
To stay up to date with the project and learn about our next steps for outreach, we encourage you to sign up to our email list.
Elements of the new pier
The new Pier will consist of these elements:
- An elevated seating area and lawn for relaxing and enjoying scenic views.
- A viewing area that provides large, open views to the Bay and the Olympic Mountains.
- The Fitzgerald Fountain will be restored and integrated into the new pier.
- A plaza and event space that can be used for seasonal activities such as concerts, outdoor movies and other pop-up events.
- A playground for kids and families. This iconic playground will appeal to people of all abilities, interests and ages.
- A restroom and concierge space adjacent to the promenade to serve visitors and families.
Video: Final design overview
Check out this video to get an overview of the final Pier 58 design.
Thank you to all who provided feedback about playground themes and play types earlier this year! We received hundreds of responses (see feedback summary) and our final design is a combination of those themes and includes some other aspects that the community higlighted as being important, including:
- A variety of play elements for all ages and abilities
- The use of vertical structures to provide a balance with the flatness of the pier
- Some transparency to highlight the view of Elliott Bay from the promenade and to enhance safety and supervision of the play space
- Using materials that are durable and that can easily be maintained
- Providing seating nearby
The playground has a four-level jellyfish tower, a variety of climbing elements, wobble boards, an 18-ft slide and more! The playground is located between the Aquarium and Miner’s Landing and will be built along with the pier rebuild starting in late 2022.
Adjacent to Pier 58 on the park promenade will be a restroom and concierge space. This space is still in design and will reach final design in 2022.
The goals for this restroom are to:
- Provide a welcoming, safe and clean facility. There will be a concierge during open hours to enhance the visitor experience for the diverse users of the Waterfront.
- Ensure that the facility serves visitors of all ages and abilities.
- Express the unique character of the waterfront as well as the historic and cultural background of the site.
- Provide a fun, relaxing atmosphere for families while waiting, and provide visibility to Pier 58 and especially the playground.
- Take advantage of technological solutions to provide hands-free door and fixture operations.
Thank you for all your valuable input in the design process for Pier 58 and the playground. After this online open house closes, you will continue to find these materials on our website.